kernel oops when writing to hfs filesystem, + varous other problems

Subject: kernel oops when writing to hfs filesystem, + varous other problems
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 00:30:16 MST

Hi,

I installed YellowDog Linux 2.1 on a G3 PowerBook (yr 2000 model), and I
set up a large (13 Gb) shared data partition formatted as hfs. However,
often when I tried to read or write to it from Linux, I found that it I
got dropped into xmon... yuck.

I would type x and it would start running again, but the process running
at the time got killed (of course). This happened when I was doing the
following:

* copying large music files by ftp onto the hfs partition
* deleting the music files from the hfs partition

The crashes occurred when using kde to perform the copying or deleting,
and also when using command line.

I installed the 2.4.10-12a kernel which came with ydl 2.1.

My search of the mailing list reveals that this problem hasn't been seen
before...

My primary work with this machine is in MacOS 9, so I have (for now)
re-formatted the drive and installed MacOS 9 on it. (I had other issues
with MacOnLinux, which I had been planning to use. I was unable to mount
a drive as writeable and actually write to it.)

So the problems I had with the YDL 2.1 + MOL 0.9.60-4 solution were:
* Couldn't use right mouse button (seems I have to set a kernel argument
to fix this)
* MOL couldn't write to the hfs partitions (despite setting -rw in
molrc)
* Linux was unreliable while reading/writing to the hfs partitions
* Couldn't mount a CDRom in MacOS from within MOL

Did I just not try hard enough, or is this the state of the art?

I'm a fairly seasoned Linux user; been doing a lot of hacking with Linux
on an intel box and I have YellowDog 2.0 installed on a 6100 using the
nubus-pmac kernel. However, this machine is for working, not playing
around. I need to get things done on it, and I may be crashing MacOS a
lot - I was attracted to Linux by the quick restart feature of mol, and
the fact that having Linux operate the filesystem should prevent it from
being corrupted if MacOS locks up inside mol.

Thanks for any feedback you may wish to give. If people can address all
of these concerns before I start serious work on the machine, I might
re-format the drive again.

Ben.