Re: kernel oops when writing to hfs filesystem, + varous other problems

Subject: Re: kernel oops when writing to hfs filesystem, + varous other problems
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 06:25:21 MST

dylan wrote:

> i get this problem too:
> using a 98 wallstreet with external 2gb SCSI drives and the 2.4 kernel
> provided with YDL 2.1
>
> however, this seems to happen at random times while using my ext2
> partitions on the external drives (where linux lives)...
>
> after getting out of xmon, i usually can safley shutdown the
> system.... however sometimes i get some really funky scsi errors. or
> somthing.... looks like this:
>
> -----------
> mon>
> vector 0 at pc = c0035418 lr =c0035664 , msr = 1032 sp = c1b1ddf0
> ----------------
> ??????????? - -> what is this all about?>
> this has happened with 3 different drives now.... and they can;t all
> be bad... they work fine under macos, and test ok.

It's got nothing to do with hardware - it's a kernel bug. This is backed
up by your observation above - ie it works with macos and still happens
with 3 different drives with linux. If the kernel message says oops
anywhere, that means that the kernel tried to dereference an invalid
pointer, which is a bug.

You say it happens for you on ext2 partitions? Oh yuck... Perhaps this
bug is worse than I had thought...

What kernels to people run with for production machines? For example,
does 2.4.17 work well on ppc if I compile one up?

Ben.