Re: Attemted Theft of Services via FTP

Subject: Re: Attemted Theft of Services via FTP
From: John Nelson (john@computation.com)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 15:49:17 MST

Report them to the FBI.  That might get some response.

Any provider that doesn't police or respond to illegal activities on their networks
gets what they deserve.

-- John

Ryan Mesler wrote:
ive reported to road runner that some of their boxes were transmitting nimda
and codered and my boxes got bout 60,000 hits a day from that alone. road
runner didnt do squat.

as for your protection... do NOT allow anonymous FTP. that would be bad. i
had some nightmares with that and my fbsd box.

what you could do is set a cron job that tells your modem to dia (when you
said modem, i assumed you meant dialup-if not, i apologize)l in at certain
times of the day (times known only by you) and stay connected for 15 min. if
it doesnt detect any net activity, it kills the connection. it'll email you
your IP address so you can know what your IP is and then login that way via
ftp or telnet. make whatever changes you need to your box and logout.

this is what i'd done for awhile back when i was working web design. since
you've got a dialup, this might be a good way to ensure higher security ;)

i dunno... just one of t he many creative things to do with linux :)

as for the punishment of these crackers... get their IPs and get some IRC
bots... you get the idea ;)

R.L. Mesler <Kraylus>
Call me Kray

If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

ICQ: 45088864
AIM: Kraylus