Re: Compiled Kernel Wont Work

Subject: Re: Compiled Kernel Wont Work
From: Olivier Reisch (ydl@karasuma.net)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 16:22:20 MST

On Friday 01 March 2002 23:55, you wrote:
> Hi there!
>

> I run YDL version 2.0 with the 2.2.19 kernel. The setup incorporates a
> dual-boot arrangement ... on my 6 Gig hard drive. It works fine but I
> thought I'd improve things by going to a 2.4 kernel. I went to the iMac
> linux site and followed the links to the 2.4.19pre1 kernel. Also on the
> site were links to complete instructions for a novice to do the upgrade.
>
> Well I followed them ... and after a little fiddling I put the new kernel
> in the boot directory together with yaboot and yaboot.conf.
>
> Now in second stage the use of the <Tab> key reveals three choices ... as
> laid out in my yaboot.conf file. (I did run ybin to confirm the changes).
>
> However any attempt to engage the new kernel ... and the kernel can't be
> found!!
>
> Does YDL do things a little differently ?? Where should I put this new
> kernel?? Can you assist?
>

> Richard

What does your /etc/yaboot.conf look like and what do you get when doing an
ls -l /boot ?

Olivier Reisch                                  doctomoe@tuxppc.org
TuxPPC Site Director
http://www.tuxppc.org
The number one user resource for Linux on PPC.

For safe mail, get my PGP Key: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/olivier.reisch/oreisch_public_key.gpg ________________________________________________