Install YDL 2.1 on ibook600 CDRW/DVD No CDROM found

Subject: Install YDL 2.1 on ibook600 CDRW/DVD No CDROM found
From: John Brier (Johnr@brierassociates.com)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 20:05:45 MST

I have tried to install YDL 2.1 on my brand new ibook 600 CDRW/DVD
(Sony CRX 800E) I followed the instructions from the support section of
the YDL site. I split my hard drive into two equal sections the first is
unallocated space( for linux) and the second is for Mac OS X. When the
installer gets to the part where it checks for the CDROM it says
something like: no CDROM found! Well this URL:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/ibook.shtml
from YDL tells how to fix this problem, but it doesn't work! Here is
what that URL says incase you don't want to open a browser:

YDL 2.1 may require text-based* install: use "install
video=aty128fb:vmode:14" at yaboot prompt.

If the installer cannot see your CD-ROM, "Keith E. Laidig" offers, based
upon the General Mailing list:
Start the installation - only 'install-text' works. Go until you get to
the 'Default/Custom' installation page, then switch to the second
virtual console (hold down 'option' & 'control' & 'fn' - in that order -
and then hit 'F2'). You'll see the BusyBox> prompt. Now, type

echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media
... which will change the value from 1 to 0 (you can cat the file to
make sure). Now switch back to the first virtual console, 'option' &
'control' & 'fn' then 'F1'. You will be able to continue on and pick the
Media, etc..

Well I can get to the console just fine but the command doesn't work. I
was looking around while at the console and there is NOT a cdrom
directory under /proc/sys/dev/ ! so i that won't work. I have tried
almost all of the install modes including text. Does anyone know what to
do here?

John Brier
http://john1.homeip.net