Re: Kernel compile error...

Subject: Re: Kernel compile error...
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 22:26:37 MST

D. Ward wrote:

>I am trying to compile the latest benh kernel and keep coming up with the same error everytime
>
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/benh_kernel/arch/ppc/xmon'
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/benh_kernel/arch/ppc/xmon'
>ld -T arch/ppc/vmlinux.lds -Ttext 0xc0000000 -Bstatic arch/ppc/kernel/head.o
> init/main.o init/version.o \
> --start-group \
> arch/ppc/kernel/kernel.o arch/ppc/mm/mm.o arch/ppc/lib/lib.o
> kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o arch/ppc/xmon/x.o \
> drivers/char/char.o drivers/block/block.o drivers/misc/misc.o
> drivers/net/net.o drivers/media/media.o drivers/char/agp/agp.o
> drivers/char/drm/drm.o drivers/net/fc/fc.o drivers/net/appletalk/appletalk.o
> drivers/net/tokenring/tr.o drivers/net/wan/wan.o drivers/ide/idedriver.o
> drivers/scsi/scsidrv.o drivers/ieee1394/ieee1394drv.o drivers/cdrom/driver.o
> drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o drivers/pci/driver.o drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia.o
> drivers/net/pcmcia/pcmcia_net.o drivers/net/wireless/wireless_net.o
> drivers/macintosh/macintosh.o drivers/video/video.o drivers/usb/usbdrv.o
> drivers/input/inputdrv.o drivers/net/irda/irda.o drivers/i2c/i2c.o
> drivers/bluetooth/bluetooth.o \
> net/network.o \
> /usr/src/benh_kernel/lib/lib.a \
> --end-group \
> -o vmlinux
>net/network.o: In function `irda_cleanup':
>net/network.o(.text.exit+0xe4): undefined reference to `irttp_cleanup'
>net/network.o(.text.exit+0xe4): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24
> irttp_cleanup
>make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>
>Since I am still new to compiling kernels, I haven't the foggiest idea what is causing this. Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here? If more of the compiling messages is needed, please don't hesitate to ask. I greatly appreciate all help anyone can provide.
>
>Dylan

Looks to me like you've found a particular set of configuration options
that doesn't work...

Looks to me like you turned on the infra-red stuff (IRDA), which is
trying to call some function, perhaps in some other module, which has
been turned off and is not being included in the build. If you don't
need IRDA, your simplest solution would be to turn it off.

Otherwise, grep the kernel source for irttp_cleanup, figure out what you
have to turn on to get it defined, and do so. This requires more
programming skill...

A useful way to run grep is to run this from the top dir of kernel source:

find . -type f | xargs grep irttp_cleanup

Look up the man pages to figure out what it does. The character between
the 'f' and the 'xargs' is the vertical bar character, not a 1 or an l -
it connects the output of find to the input of xargs.

Ben.