Re: How to set hostname in YDL 2.1?

Subject: Re: How to set hostname in YDL 2.1?
From: Ren Bourion (rene.bourion@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 02:17:20 MST

le 02/03/02 16:51, nathan r. hruby à nhruby@arches.uga.edu a écrit :

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Sean O. Denney wrote:
>
>> get_local_host: hostname "devil.localdomain" bad
>>

>> Any thoughts on what I'm missing?
>> Maybe the /etc/hosts file?
>>

> Yes. If your hostname ain't in DNS, it needs to be in /etc/hosts so the
> machine can resolve its self.
>
> -n

I would like to join this thread as I just ran into a similar problem.
My printer (Epson 740) used to work correctly; it is still accessible
directly through /dev/usb/lp0.

As it happened, I had to make some adjustments to make sendmail start
smoothly (apparently a well-known problem), and now, when I try to use lpr,
this is what I get:

[root@sirius /root]# lpr /etc/fstab
Status Information:
 sending job 'root@sirius+978' to lp@localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 connected to 'localhost'
 requesting printer lp@localhost
 job 'root@sirius+978' transfer to lp@localhost failed
  error 'link error 253' with ack 'ACK_RETRY'
  sending str '^Blp' to lp@localhost
 error msg: 'lp: spooling disabled'
[root@sirius /root]#

The name "localhost" is still present in my /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1 sirius sirius.localdomain
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

Can someone explain what the message means? What is lp@localhost? What
should I change?

Thanks in advance.

R.B.