Re: kernel oops when writing to hfs filesystem, + varous other problems

Subject: Re: kernel oops when writing to hfs filesystem, + varous other problems
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 15:38:11 MST

Regarding your filesystem over appletalk idea, I just set it up, and
copied my work over to the ext2 volume. I haven't started using it yet
though... that will be the real test.

Timothy A. Seufert wrote:

> At 6:02 PM +1100 3/3/02, Ben Stanley wrote:
>
>> Now, I still have a problem with CDRoms... How can I read an hfs+
>> CDROM from
>> inside mol? At the moment, I have to reboot into MacOS. I tried starting
>> Drive Setup on MacOS, but it won't scan the SCSI bus (mol prints
>> something
>> about an un-implemented gestalt when you try). (You can then manually
>> mount
>> any volumes that it finds.)
>

> I don't think I ever managed to mount a CD on the fly.

I haven't managed to mount a CD that was in when I started mol yet
either, unless it was mounted in Linux. I guess that I can't use hfs+
CDs without a reboot then... Ugh.

>> And one last problem: Is there any way that I can run mol at a custom
>> screen
>> size (ie. slightly smaller than the full screen size)? I can re-size the
>> screen using the control strip, but that only gives me the choice of
>> standard screen sizes.
>

> Don't know about this one either. I assume that your desire here is
> to run MOL in a X11 window while using as much of the screen as
> possible? So the custom resolution would be just enough smaller that
> there is space for the window manager's borders and widgets?
>
> Actually the best MOL setup is fullscreen mode. It's a *lot* faster
> that way. You can use virtual consoles to flip between MOL and X11.

Well, I did want to run it with my X desktop, but I'll try full-screen.
How do I get it to switch? or do I have to start it that way by editing
molrc?

I also tried sound today - seems like mol doesn't like esddsp and wants
to take /dev/dsp all for itself. I wanted to share it with other UNIX
programs, but it looks like it's one or the other.

And, I have found that to get the apple command key under mol I have to
press option, but to get the option key under mol I don't know what to
press... I'd like to fix this... I'd rather have apple command as apple
command.

Thanks for all your comments on hfs. I might have another chat with that
lecturer, with printouts of your emails in hand.

Ben.