Re: can't resolve named hosts

Subject: Re: can't resolve named hosts
From: Justin Christopher (jchristopher@takenote.net)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 20:20:17 MST

On Saturday, March 2, 2002, at 01:43 PM, Keary Suska wrote:

> on 3/2/02 2:30 PM, jchristopher@takenote.net purportedly said:
>
>> I connect to the internet via an Airport Base Station that hands out
>> IPs
>> via DHCP at boottime. Works fine for Windows and OS X clients, both
>> wired and wireless.
>>
>> Under YDL 2.1 on my iBook, I can ping numeric hosts on my LAN, ping the
>> IP of the base station, and ping external internet hosts
>> (206.117.xxx.yyy, etc. ). But named hosts like mail.mydomain.com or
>> www.yahoo.com just time out and never connect.
>
> The answer is fairly obvious--it's a DNS problem. Check your resolv.conf
> file to make sure valid entries are made. Depending on how your DHCP
> server
> works, you may have to specify DNS hosts manually.
>
> Keary Suska
> Esoteritech, Inc.
> "Leveraging Open Source for a better Internet"

Well, since both OSX and Windows hosts can get IPs and resolve hosts
without the need to hard code in a DNS server, why should it be that way
under Linux? Should not YellowDog get the DNS server on the fly from the
DHCP server?

Of course I can hard code valid DNS servers into resolv.conf - but that
kind of defeats the point of getting everything from DHCP... what if my
ISP decides to switch the IP of their DNS servers?

Clients that honor the "dynamic" DNS will keep working, and the
hard-coded DNS server IPs I feed YellowDog will fail!