Internet Law (was:Re: Attemted Theft of Services via FTP)

Subject: Internet Law (was:Re: Attemted Theft of Services via FTP)
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 12:45:16 MST

Just out of curiosity... How much at fault is this person for attempting
to login to your system? Where is the legal line drawn? Is it acceptable
to ping a whole block of IPs, figure out which are running FTP and then
try logging in to these (anonymous or with a few name/password "guesses")?
If you don't have repetitive attempts from a particular IP, is it any
better? Anyone know the legal code on this stuff?

Mike