iptables downloaded, set-up info

Subject: iptables downloaded, set-up info
From: Ralph Wiggums (ralphwiggums@linuxwaves.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 16:07:17 MST

Greetings, i am just trying to get a good firewall set-up. I do not need to offer any online services, i read email and surf, so i need outoing access but no incomming.(i also upload files via ftp and ssh to another server) My distro is Yellow Dog Linux kernel 2.4.10-12a. i have downloaded iptables-1.2.5, from http://netfilter.samba.org/downloads.html#1.2.5 and read the README INSTALL file, which for my limited knowledge is not especially helpful.

I understand that my kernel has been compiled to run iptables (it has the nesessary modules) so i just need the package, which i just downloaded.

can anyone guide me through how to do this? (i.e install iptables and get a basic set-up)?

thank you for your time.

Get your spam-free, Linux email now --> http://www.LinuxWaves.com
Join Linux discussions --> http://Community.LinuxWaves.com

You deserve a better email address! Get personalized email @yourname