Re: ATI Mach64 SOLVED on Beige G3

Subject: Re: ATI Mach64 SOLVED on Beige G3
From: Alexander Holst (holst@fh-pforzheim.de)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 07:12:22 MST

>Ohhhhhhh,
>
>I didn't realize I wasn't running accelerated. All I know is I got a usable
>screen size for a change. With YDL 1.2.1 I wasn't able to even get 1024x768
>running without artifacts.

I configured X on my beige G3 233/DT with Xautoconfig-4 and then customized it for my German Keyboard. At least I have the impression on running in accelerated mode.

To get the desired screen resolution [1152x870 in my case - I know, I am being Mac specific here =8] was a bit tricky, untill I found fbset. The important thing, at least for me, was to have the desired screen resolution from the beginning - booting - which meant to find the right kernel parameters to pass. My machine is a YDL 2.1 only system, booting via miBoot. I added a line: append = "video=atyfb:vmode:18,cmode:24" to my boot.conf [try man fbset for valid modes or man nvvideo]. This got me straight into the desired resolution in console mode. Running fbset gave me the stuff I had to add to /etc/fb.modes - running fbset -x the lines for /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Prior to editing the XF86Config-4 file, I ran Xautoconfig4 in order to get a minimum config. All throughout this, I was running in runlevel 3, starting and stopping X manually to have more control.

>Hmmm I wonder what it will take to see it accelerated at all.. I set it up
>with the Xconfigurator from the command line. (IE I start up from command
>line, login, then start X in case I have problems.)

I attached my /etc/X11/XF86config as well as a /var/log/XFree86.0.log
Hope this helps.

ps.: maybe someone out there can at least confirm my assumption in running accelarated according to my logfile.

--
Alexander Holst
SysAdmin MacLabor Visuelle Kommunikation