Re: SSSCA will make open source illegal in the US

Subject: Re: SSSCA will make open source illegal in the US
From: Michael O'Keefe (mokeefe@qualcomm.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 17:24:13 MST

The SSSCS is real, but the "end of the world for Open Source" predictions
are just scare mongering right now. Nobody knows becoz the thing isn't
even out of committee yet. Although to the points below...

a) You will still be able to build your own PC, you'll just only have
access to components that protect Copyrights.
b) I doubt it very much. That would be govt mandating of changing EVERY PC
in the country, costing corporations and ppl trillions of dollars. Even
Washington isn't THAT stoopid
c) So long as the OS s/w protects copyrights, it should be ok. Now if you
stripped out those components before you compiled it...Naughty you !!!
d) See c)
e) most likely provisions will be made for R&D, like they were in the DMCA
f) See b)

Don't get me wrong, I think the SSSCA is a POS and should be stopped, but
it ain;t Chiken Little time. But it is time to voice your opinion to your
local Rep's

--
Michael O'Keefe                      |          mokeefe@qualcomm.com_
Live on and Ride a '96 Honda CBR1000F|          roxus@home.com     / |