Re: emulating three buttons with a kensington two buttons

Subject: Re: emulating three buttons with a kensington two buttons
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 19:10:24 MST

on 3/5/02 3:29 PM, bds02@uow.edu.au purportedly said:

> It's already set up with YDL 2.1 - just use F11 for the middle button, and F12
> for the right
> button.
>
> There is a special kernel configuration which you must turn on if you built
> your own kernel (yd
> kernel is already set up that way), and then you have to initialise something
> in /proc, but the yd
> init scripts do that already.
>
>> i'm looking for an how-to giving the way to emulate a three buttons mice with
>> a two buttons one.
>>
>> Mine is a kensington adb ref GV364101 i'm using xfree 4.1 over YDL 2.1 for
>> PPC.

I don't think this quite answers the question. Your best bet is to contact
Kensington and see if they have any Linux drivers (which I doubt, and even
so probably aren't PPC compatible), or if they know of any software that may
work to drive their mouse. If they don't use too proprietary of a protocol
there may be some software that will drive it. Otherwise you are stuck with
function key mapping emulation, which IMHO sucks the big one.

There are some hint is the faq-o-matic:
    http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/835.html
but you may have to hunt and peck settings to get something to work. If the
standard Linux mouse drivers have the concept of a chord, then you're in
business.

you could also check out:
    http://www.saragossa.net/LinuxG3/ls-mouse.shtml
or www.xfree86.org. They sometimes have good tips on configuring devices for