Re: SSSCA will make open source illegal in the US

Subject: Re: SSSCA will make open source illegal in the US
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 20:53:43 MST

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 07:00 pm, Jim Potter wrote:
> Last yeart when he (Hollings, appears to be fronting for disney & co) tried
> this, I called their office and his aide told me that we (the public,
> taxpayers, etc) weren't supposed to see this until much, much later, so go
> back to sleep, please...  We'll tell you when we're ready for you to know
> about it.

The Music industry tried to get cassette tape recorders banned - forcing the
world to forever use 8 tracks - didnt fly - next the movie industry tried to
remove recording capibilities from VCRs - didn't work - this won't either.

I know - i was there, I made many a recording HS using a cassette deck and
the stereo tuner - any one here remember the "King Biscuit Flour Hour" ? it
was a two hour live recorded rock concert broadcast on radio stations all
accross america in the 1970's and 80's - some of those "bootleg" recordings
are worth a fortune now.

They may pass the law - but based upon prior Supreme Court rulings on the
Cassette and VCR laws, they will be struck down - it's know as the "fair use"
principle.

--
 Robert Brandtjen