RE: Linux laptops

Subject: RE: Linux laptops
From: Justin Christopher (jchristopher@takenote.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 12:48:38 MST

I find that is the case for most things regarding Linux. Eternal beta.

Advanced users claim "everything works on my TiBook", and when it doesn't on
your machine, it's: "oh yeah, I forgot to mention that... In order to get
xyz working, you need to apply patch abc, then modprobe blah-blah as root".
This continues for your sound, your video card, your new USB digital camera,
your printer, until you decide it's not worth it and format the drive with
an OS that's useful.

Then, 6 months later, you decide to see if the installers have improved any.
Sure enough it now has "Ext3 support, support for FireWire devices, yada
yada yada" but they never seem to get around to fixing the basics. Format.
Wash, rinse, repeat.