Re: Linux laptops

Subject: Re: Linux laptops
From: Andy Hocker (hocker@fnal.gov)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 12:37:15 MST

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Paul Guba wrote:

> Out of the box Sound did not work on my Pismo 400 this machine is two
> years old. I have posted to the list but no one seems to have a
> solution. Frankly building a custom kernel is not very appealing. If
> something as basic as the sound does not work call it beta.

I just want to add to the moan-fest about sound. There seem to
be so many ways for it to not work ("it's the drivers -- use ALSA,"
"it's KDE's sound server -- use GNOME," "it's the kernel -- upgrade,"
"it's the chipset -- you're screwed") that it becomes impossible
to know what the right path to a solution is. I'm probably
showing my naivete here, but I wish Terra Soft would just hire
somebody for a month and say "You -- you're gong to get this
whole sound thing straightened out once and for all. We're sick
of people like Andy whining about it on the yellowdog list."

Andy

Andy Hocker office: CDF trailer 168-O
University of Rochester phone: (630)-840-8622
Fermilab/CDF - M.S. 318 fax: (630)-840-2968
PO Box 500 e: hocker@fnal.gov
Batavia, IL 60510 hey ho: let's go