Re: Big surprise: Linux ain't Windows or MacOS. GASP! (was "RE: Linux laptops")

Subject: Re: Big surprise: Linux ain't Windows or MacOS. GASP! (was "RE: Linux laptops")
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 15:56:56 MST

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 03:59 pm, Justin Christopher wrote:
> With regards to your attempt to compare the usability of System 7 to Linux,
> don't even bother, because Linux (8 or 9 years later) is not even in the
> same league and everyone reading this list knows it.

Your absolutel right - being a long time mac advocate (SE30 running mac os
6.x in 1989) I would whole heartedly agree -

Its way far and way better- I love being able to use off the shelf ethernet
cards and such - I wont even go into it's superiority on X68 - ok, I will - I
love having hundreds upon hundreds hardware possibilities supported.

I also love not having the kludgy hacks because of the HFS+ file system - I
love not have to defrag a disc drive anymore - and - I loved having
(admittedly on intel) multiple PCI cards ( Voodoo5, Geforce3 ti, audigy
soundblaster, numours nics, etc) automagically seen and enabled upon boot -
most of all, I love Amanda for backups, Gkrellm for hardware monitoring (
love the cpu temp and fan speed) - the list goes on.

I also love the idea of sshing into a box and loading an app (say Gtop) onto
my box and checking out that one - waaay cool stuff.

I like (unlike OSX) not getting build problems on source code - I like being
able to custom configure the kernel - and recompile it.

I like yup and up2date - much faster updating (IMHO) then apple's update
process - the list goes on =

thanks Dan and company for YDL - thank you all Linux developers for making
Linux what it has become-

P.S. - i now have my 10 and 14 year old dual booting into Linux on their
iMacs - they like it.

--
 Robert Brandtjen