thanks and question, 'tar' etc,..

Subject: thanks and question, 'tar' etc,..
From: Ralph Wiggums (ralphwiggums@linuxwaves.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 17:28:59 MST

Nathan,... Thanks for the help,...

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Ralph Wiggums wrote:

> O.K. YDL isn't quiet 'prime time' yet, but by the same token apple
> want's to charge me $20 for a gnu gcc compiler for osx, well, that's
> just not very 'open source' friendly, is it,....

Err. Go join the ADC for the freebie membership, the OSX Development set
is download-able from the ADC website once you're a member (just do the
registrations, then back button out when it asks you to buy stuff)

-n

-> I thought you could get it for free but i spent about a half hour lookng, after signing up and could only find the 'send us $20 section' ;-0 -> Well, it's downloaded now,...

I also have a question about the below,...

> I have recently made a new partition for /var - and
> made the necessary auto-mounting changes (i.e
> /etc/fstab) before i actually 'officially' mv this.
> what file or system variable do i have to change to
> tell the system where /var will be now?

(and a remount -> mount -o remount /device/partion)
is `remount' a command?

This should do what you want. Remember to mount your new disk someplace
and chnage the bit "/newdisk/var" to the path of your new disks #Huh? change the bit? where?
/var/partition (eg: if you have one disk and it's going to be all /var,
then mount it at /newvar and replace /newdisk/var with /newvar)

tar cpf /var | (cd /newdisk/var && tar xpf -)

-> i didn't know you could use `tar` like this, COOL,....

thanks again
:-)

Get your spam-free, Linux email now --> http://www.LinuxWaves.com
Join Linux discussions --> http://Community.LinuxWaves.com