Re: iptables and misc. 'missing commands'

Subject: Re: iptables and misc. 'missing commands'
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 22:58:31 MST

Åke Svensson wrote:

>Hi again!
>
>I'm at a loss here, newbie as I am. My 'lsmod, modprobe' commands are
>located in '/sbin/' and if you don't have them we need some guru help.

If you become root using su, then /usr/sbin and /sbin are not placed in
the path. However, if you log in as root to begin with, then they are :-).

You can log in as root without logging out of X-Windows by using virtual
consoles. Use CTRL-OPTION-FX, where FX is F1-F9. Each function key gives
you a different virtual console. XWindows usually takes F7, but not
always. (Beware - virtual consoles seem to be a bit buggy with kernel
2.4.10-12a - it froze on me once - I was using mol at the time tho.)

So if you log on as root from the text mode console, the path is set
correctly.

If you become root using su, then you have to prefix commands like lsmod
and modprobe with /sbin, ie
/sbin/lsmod
/sbin/modprobe

etc.

Your module commands are almost certainly installed - to find out, type
rpm -q modutils
If it's installed, it will give you the version number. If it's not,
you'll get a message saying so.
You can find out where all it's files are by typing
rpm -ql modutils
You might find it useful to look at that through less (which is a pager), eg
rpm -ql modutils | less

And when you've finished rooting around on your virtual console,
remember to log out - leaving root logged in is a security hole!

Ben.