Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)

Subject: Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)
From: Paul Guba (gubavision@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 08:42:11 MST

Actually Chris I agree with you on most points. I'm using it as a
server and it runs along with no problems. I have run into configure
problems most of which I have been able to solve with the help of those
on this list. Thanks to everyone. Perhaps Linux will never progress
far beyond that and become a more mainstream OS. Its my feeling it
will. If only because of MS greed and CFO's always looking for ways to
trim costs. If I did not feel this was so I would not spend my time now
trying to figure some of these things out. Until some of the trial and
error aspects are worked out I don't feel I'll be seeing Joe Cubicle
running Linux on his desktop. There are thing the general public will
want. Saying "well Linux is not for you then" is just not good enough.
The Linux community has to give up this outsider mentality. Would you
buy a new car if the radio did not work. The salesman saying "Sorry we
don't have sound in our cars" of course not. You expect it to be
there. I want it to work because I know it can and should and probably
will soon. I see great possibilities but am grounded by the realities
of the OS and my own ignorance of it.