Newbie needs help configuring xwindows, kde (was Fwd: Re: Sound on Linux laptops)

Subject: Newbie needs help configuring xwindows, kde (was Fwd: Re: Sound on Linux laptops)
From: Harold Shanafield (hshanafield@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 09:24:20 MST

I'd like to thank the author for actually providing an
answer to someones question, as opposed to wasting
everyone's space in their inbox with needless flames.
As for my own 2 cents: it's really easy to tell
everybody to stop whining if it already works for you.
 At the same time, if your biggest concern is
listening to music, why linux? Isn't that what MacOS
is for?

Now for my plea for help. As I wrote last night.
After struggling with the installer for several days,
I determined that the only install I was going to get
was the base install. I want to get X windows and kde
going, but as a newbie that is proving difficult. I
got yup to install some XF86 packages, but is there a
list of things I need to have somewhere? How do I
configure it and do I have to start some service?
Just need to be pointed to the information (specific
to YDL 2.1) if it is available. Also, if you are
going to flame me, please send it directly to me
because I am sure nobody else needs an inbox of
flames.

Thanks,
Harold