RE: YDL FAQ (was: Re: Yup problems =])

Subject: RE: YDL FAQ (was: Re: Yup problems =])
From: Andy Hocker (hocker@fnal.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 10:15:12 MST

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Ferwerda Darren (app3dxf) wrote:

> <devil's advocacy> Isn't the
> "get-rid-of-eth0-as-the-default-route-before-you-can-get-anywhere-with-a-dia
> lup-connection" something that should be covered in the networking FAQ?
> </devil's advocacy> It is not necessarily related to YDL specifically.
> That would happen with any dialup connection. You just need to tell pppd to
> set defaultroute. Seriously, should it be covered since it is a problem
> that seems to be prevalent to new installations? The reason I ask, is that
> I am willing to help put together the FAQ once we start nailing down what
> needs to be in it. Yes, that is a volunteer. :)

Well, if you're going to build a FAQ out of questions that are frequently
asked on the yellowdog-general mailing list, then I think the
default-route question definitely qualifies. I've often wondered
what the problems-with-YDL/problems-with-Linux-in-general ratio is
on this list, but I think if you restrict yourself to only addressing
YDL-specific issues then a FAQ becomes less useful to the newbie who nees
it most.

I think a good start would be to just go through the last six months'
list archives and find the questions that have had the same resolution
more than x number of times.

Thanks for volunteering!

Andy

Andy Hocker office: CDF trailer 168-O
University of Rochester phone: (630)-840-8622
Fermilab/CDF - M.S. 318 fax: (630)-840-2968
PO Box 500 e: hocker@fnal.gov
Batavia, IL 60510 hey ho: let's go