Re: NEWBE/ DFA error reading yaboot partition

Subject: Re: NEWBE/ DFA error reading yaboot partition
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 16:53:06 MST

dovid wrote:

> mac os x disk first aid displays error messages when verifying
> the yaboot partition:
>
>> Reserved fields in the catalog record have incorrect data
>> The volume bootstrap needs to be repaired.
>

> Should it be?

DO NOT USE NORTONS on the yaboot bootstrap partition. They will
'unbless' it and make it unbootable, and you'll have to do some magic
(run ybin after booting off CD) to get it back.

I don't know anything about the specific error you mention above; I just
know that you don't use Norton's on a yaboot bootstrap partition. It
works doesn't it? The partition shouldn't be touched in daily use - only
when you install a new linux kernel. So the partition should be fine.

Ben.