Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)

Subject: Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 18:55:03 MST

On Thursday 07 March 2002 06:36 pm, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> Speaking of which, I doubt any drivers from OS X Server 1.x survive
> in MacOS X 10.0 onwards.  Apple created a new driver architecture and
> moved to it partway through the MacOS X 10 beta releases.  This
> required them to port or wholly rewrite all drivers.

I have both operating systems here at my disposal - the early drivers (as I
recall - but its been a year) were the exact same name - in fact, the tulip
drivers for the supported 4 port ethernet were the same - remember, these
people could use them before.

I have personally seen Apple under Jobs do this - the original OSX 1.x was
supposed to run on all PCI macs - the support was there to do so - as were
the remnant i386 code from Next days - the yellow box under rhapsody. OSX1.x
will run on any PCI mac - even a Umax - if you know how to use Res Edit and
hack the installer - hacking the installer was easy as the code to boot on a
PCI mac was already there - you just had to find it and enable it. In fact -
it had support down to the 601's and in fact ran better on a supped up PCI
mac then it did a blue and white G3 let alone a G4.

OSX 10 beta loaded just fine on PCI Macs - I know, because I did it. Thats
also why it was relatively trivial to hack together an install for 10.1 and
so forth - now the only reason why Apple would do this is to drive hardware
sales -

Its also hobbled the early iMacs - and both of those machines are "fully
supported" according to apple.

--
 Robert Brandtjen