Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)

Subject: Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 01:59:00 MST

On Thursday 07 March 2002 10:49 pm, Eric D. wrote:
> Unfamiliar would be a GUI which does things in a novel way (KDE... which
> reminds me, when I was talking about GNOME earlier, I meant KDE). Ease of
> use is having the UI GUIDE you through the process (sorry guys & gals but a
> man page simply doesn't count as a guide. If I have to read a Help file it
> means either I'm trying to do something wickedly complicated or the
> programmer didn't do their job on the interface).

Your simply not used to being the "Master of your own domain" - by that I
mean, this is an operating system that was meant to be tweaked, changed,
manipulated - Windows and Mac dont allow you to do that. that is what your
real problem is - your not used to the ultimate in freedom as per an OS is
concerned.

I used to think like you - and I will be the first to admit that I even took
classes toward the Linux certification - but in truth, as my instructor told
me, you will learn far more from doing then from sitting in a class learning
- online lists such as this are a great way to learn.

By the way - now more often then not, I use vi to edit scripts (BBEdit who?)
and have taken to starting apps from the CLI, rather then point and click -
why? i like to read their output sometimes- thats why - it's far more
powerful then WIndows or Mac - I know, I know, OSX lets you do that too - but
You cannot change or tweak the basic interface, it is what it is - and i for
one find it suitable for children, not serious adults.

--
 Robert Brandtjen