Re: Open Firmware, "blessing" partitions & restarting

Subject: Re: Open Firmware, "blessing" partitions & restarting
From: Eric D. (liriodendron@mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 07:21:09 MST

on 4/3/02 22:59, Ben Stanley at bds02@uow.edu.au wrote:

> The yaboot documentation says that the boot partition should not ever be
> mounted, especially by OS X, becuase it 'un-blesses' it.

The boot partition now automatically loads in X (& I have no idea how to get
it to not load) & doesn't unbless it. I managed to get my boot partition
back by using the firmware command "setenv boot-device hd:7,ofboot.b". (&
boot into it by doing the command-option-o-f followed by "boot hd:7,yaboot")

> You should boot Linux off the CD (see the engineer's notes at the bottom
> of the Yellow Dog installation instruction page) and then re-run ybin to
> fix this.

I never managed to get ybin to run (typing ybin does nothing & I don't know
where to cd to find it). How does one do all this root stuff & is there a
decent CLUI file searcher/launcher shell (like DOSSHELL)? I login to root in
one of the alternate "logins" (whatever they're called... command-option-F2)
(unfortunately I can't sudo in my own account since I'm not in the sudo
permissions list and "the attempt has been logged and root will be notified"
(as if I really am likely to forget that I tried to sudo ;))

> And as for mounting hfs partitions from Linux, I don't recommend that -
> the kernel hfs implementation has suffered bit-rot. Use hfsutils instead.

So is the boot partition a HFS partition?

L8r, Eric.

> Eric D. wrote:
>
>> Hello ya'll, I've run into a little bit of a problem here (that I'm about to
>> see if booting into Open Firmware will fix). Somewhere in booting an OS X
>> installer disk (to do a verify), booting Norton Systemworks CD & defragging
>> the two Mac partitions I've lost the boot loader.
<snip>