Re: ATI Mach 64 SOLVED on beige G3

Subject: Re: ATI Mach 64 SOLVED on beige G3
From: Alexander Holst (holst@fh-pforzheim.de)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 09:51:38 MST

On 7 Mar 2002 19:05:58 -0000
someone wrote:

> > > (II) ATI: Shared PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 0:18:0 detected.
> >>
> >> and:
> >>
> >> (--) ATI(0): ATI 3D Rage II graphics controller detected.
> >> (--) ATI(0): Chip type 4754 "GT", version 2, foundry UMC, class 0,
> >> revision 0x02.
> >> (--) ATI(0): PCI bus interface detected; block I/O base is 0x0400.
> >>

> > > Do you have 2 video cards?
> >
> >No, I don't. Much to my surprise as well, I read those lines. Maybe
> >someone out there can explain. My machine is a G3 233/DT Rev. 1
> >which means it does have the ATI Rage II and not the ATI Rage Pro
> >chip. Therefore, I do not understand the first entry in my logfile,
> >stating it detected some card in a PCI slot, unless the onboard
> >graphics chip, somehow is hardwired to the PCI bus. Would that make
> >any sense?
>
> Yeah, I think it's just a logging error. Don't know why it didn't hit
> me before, but there's no way your machine has an AGP slot. I take it
> you're saying you don't even have -1- video card, rather that your
> video is on the motherboard (which would make sense).

You know what, I have just installed MacOSX-Server on a G3 266/DT (also a beige one) and for reasons of other hardware, I opened SystemProfiler and saw that the graphic chip was listed as a video card ATY,mach64_3DU in slot F1 of my PCI bus! So I guess Apple just soldered it on the mainboard, but uses PCI architecture?!?

Maybe it does make sense, my log. Hope it helps in getting your setup accelerated.

Greetings,
Alex

--
Alexander Holst
SysAdmin MacLabor Visuelle Kommunikation