sound questions

Subject: sound questions
From: Guy McArthur (guym@arizona.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 15:21:09 MST

Greetings. I'm very pleased with YDL 2.1, with the following exceptions:

1. artsd takes up between 90-100% CPU just to play system notification
sounds (window raise, etc).

        Is there a fix for this? I tried setting non-realtime priority in
the KDE config, and setting use system bell for notifications, with no
discernable changes.

        How can I disable sound for all such events?
        Or, can KDE use something other than artsd?

2. xmms doesn't detect the soundcard. I presume it could be setup to use
artsd, if #1 is fixed? Is there a soundcard config utility?

Thanks.