Re: Really Bad Crash

Subject: Re: Really Bad Crash
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 16:28:20 MST

So now we know that there is something wrong with the particular kernel
image you are trying to boot off, or maybe the filesystem that it's
residing in (can you boot from cd and run fsck on it?). Did you build
the kernel yourself? What did you do to the system just before it
stopped working?

Can you install a standard YDL kernel in it's place? Or even if it is a
standard YDL kernel, maybe it has been damaged on disk somehow. Perhaps
you should replace it.

Whenever I build my own kernel, I always keep several known good kernels
around in case I stuff something up with the new one; then I can just
boot with the old (known good) kernel and fix the problem.

Ben.