Re: RedHat and PPC announcement

Subject: Re: RedHat and PPC announcement
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 16:00:11 MST

on 3/11/02 1:46 PM, gordo-x@shaw.ca purportedly said:

> Some fairly significant news from Red Hat (on which LinuxPPC and YDL are
> based) regarding support for Motorola's PPC architecture and in particular,
> AltiVec (Apple's Velocity Engine).
> You may as well read the link at MacCentral, rather than listen to me:
>
> http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0203/11.redhat.php

It might be significant, if it results in better support for Linux on PPC,
which is not what is happening. At this time, RH is just updating GNUPro for
PPC/AltiVec support. If you are a PPC Linux developer who prefers to use
GNUPro toolchains, it's good news. For everyone else, it's fairly
irrelevant.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.