help with iptables set-up, please

Subject: help with iptables set-up, please
From: Ralph Wiggums (ralphwiggums@linuxwaves.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 18:26:23 MST

I have been 'roughly' following this link, but i do have questions that hopefully someone can help me out with. (the Oskar Andreasson Tutorial) http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/firewalls/IPTables-Tutorial/iptables-tutorial/iptables-tutorial.html#INSTALL_RH71

ok, these are the sequential steps i followed and i'm not having any sucess.

-I downloaded iptables-1.2.5 from netfilter. (to my internet downloads partition)
-I unpacked with bzip2 -cd iptables-1.2.5.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -

-I made the package: make KERNEL_DIR=/boot/vmlinux
and make install KERNEL_DIR=/boot/vmlinux

-i made sure ipchains was off.
chkconfig --level 0123456 ipchains off

-i made sure the service was stopped. (which doesn't really matter because 'ipchains' is not compitible with my kernel so it won't work anyway.)
service ipchains stop

-i ran 'modprobe ip_tables' and 'modprobe iptable_nat' to test the initial iptables-1.2.5 installation

and 'lsmod' to see the modules were loaded, they seem to be there.

Now to make iptables run i tried:
chkconfig --level 235 iptables on
-which produced 'iptables not found'?

-so of course i could not start it as well:
service iptables start
:'iptables not found'

-Now, does this just mean that iptables is not in my 'path'. I though when i 'make' a package is it automatically made in /sbin or where is 'should' be made, is this true? i don't really want it (ipchains) to reside where it currently is, where i 'unpacked it', on my 'internet downloads' partition.

>From what i understand my kernel is already compiled to run 'iptables', i run Yellow dog Linux 2.1 kernel 2.4.10-12a - but if not i have never compilied a kernel and i would rather save some fun for later ;-) (i've only been running linux a short time but i have a cable provider and really need a decent firewall - hence iptables)

thanks in advance for all your help.

-ralph

Get your spam-free, Linux email now --> http://www.LinuxWaves.com