MP3 quality was re: MP3 rippng too slow

Subject: MP3 quality was re: MP3 rippng too slow
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 19:17:44 MST

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Robert Brandtjen wrote:
>The on the MB sound chip that Apple supplies is hardly of the sound
>quality that a Creative sound card (such as the audigy) supplies - I'm
>not even sure you can truly judge with out it.
>
>What I listen to is my SB card piped through a Pioneer connected to 4 Bose
>Speakers (501's) so I can deffinately tell the diference.

 Hrm, I listen to my iTunes encoded MP3s via a MOTU 2408 into my DAT
machine as the DA converters. This goes balanced into Yamaha MSP5 powered
monitors (I'm a computer music student/audio geek, and I have about $20k
of recording gear at home). I usually rip at min 160kbs with variable bit
rate, and I find the sound quite good all things considered.

 Generally, I find Creative sound cards to be somewhat lacking as both the
AD and DA converters on them pretty much suck. This really goes for any
card that has the analog components on the PCI card, it is nearly
impossible to isolate the RF noise generated inside your CPU from the
analog circuitry. This is why you'll almost always be better off with
something with a breakout box.

 Having said all that, I don't mind the sound of my dinky Harmon Kardon
speakers at work when I play my iTunes ripped MP3s via xmms out the crappy
analog outputs of my G4.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017