Re: MP3 rippng too slow

Subject: Re: MP3 rippng too slow
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 21:30:29 MST

Robert Brandtjen wrote:

>so, as you can see, there is no analog to digital conversion taking place -
>maybe there was 5 years ago, but not anymore.

I don't have one of those fancy digital cables. When I rip CDs I read
the raw samples into the computer memory by CDDA, via the same data
interface that is used to transfer data from CDs. There is no Digital to
Analogue and no Analogue to Digital conversion taking place. (The
reading is done by cdparanoia or cdda2wav, which may both be used as
backends by grip.)

Ripping does not involve the sound card at all.

Ben.