Re: MP3 rippng too slow

Subject: Re: MP3 rippng too slow
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 21:46:07 MST

"... I don't have one of those fancy digital cables. When I rip CDs I read
the raw samples into the computer memory by CDDA, via the same data
interface that is used to transfer data from CDs. There is no Digital to
Analogue and no Analogue to Digital conversion taking place. (The reading
is done by cdparanoia or cdda2wav, which may both be used as backends by
grip.)

Ripping does not involve the sound card at all. ..."

Ben's right, ripping is all done in SW.

If it goes over the S/PDIF cable, it's RedBook 44.1/16Khz audio and must
be processed by the soundcard's DSPs. Try unhooking the S/PDIF and see
what kind of sound you get; digital data will transfer fine but music no
worky.