Re: use Iomega zip 100 usb?

Subject: Re: use Iomega zip 100 usb?
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 19:27:43 MST

Guy McArthur wrote:

> I just put a parallel port zip drive on my ydl 2.1 machine. Works fine.
> What I did was
> 1) plugged in device and shutdown
> 2) looked at dmesg | less to see what device name it was getting
> (/dev/sdb)
> 3) added an entry in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/sdb4 /mnt/zip vfat auto,user,rw 0 0

I find that the partition changes depending upon what OS formatted the
zip disk - for example, I have some zip disks where the data is on
partition 1. You can find out what partitions are present by running
fdisk /dev/sdb <- replace this with the raw device corresponding to your
zip drive...
However, I dislike this solution because you can easily format the disk
when using fdisk!

I use auto instead of vfat - and I make sure that the filesystem that I
want to use is in /etc/filesystems. that way the kernel figures out what
filesystem is on the disk and mounts it appropriately. (I use hfs and
vfat zip disks.)

>>i am also interested in doing a basic back-up, a zip 100MB is probably not
>>big enough, right?

Right, unless you only want to back up a very small amount of stuff...

Ben.