Re: File Indexing

Subject: Re: File Indexing
From: Olivier Reisch (ydl@karasuma.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 08:34:22 MST

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 16:25, you wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Does Linux do something similar to the Mac OS File indexing?
>
> I've noticed the hard drive thrashing about sometimes for long
> periods of time (greater than 30 seconds), but it doesn't appear
> to be using the swap at all. This can happen when I'm not doing
> much of anything.
>
> I've noticed similar behavior on my Intel box with RH Linux.
>
> Is there any explanation for this? General disk clean up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew

The disk activity you notice is most probably due to the locatedb being
updated. This databases does a sort of file indexing which will allow you to
quicky find files by typing "locate filename" where filename is a part of the
name or path of the file you are looking for.

You can find more info by typing "man locate" or "man locatedb".

Olivier Reisch                                  doctomoe@tuxppc.org
TuxPPC Site Director
http://www.tuxppc.org
The number one user resource for Linux on PPC.

For safe mail, get my PGP Key: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/olivier.reisch/oreisch_public_key.gpg ________________________________________________