Re: Telneting trouble

Subject: Re: Telneting trouble
From: Olivier Reisch (ydl@karasuma.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 08:53:50 MST

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 16:35, you wrote:
> --On Wednesday, March 13, 2002 4:31 PM +0100 Olivier Reisch
>
> <ydl@karasuma.net> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 March 2002 16:20, you wrote:
> >> Hello guys,
> >>
> >> I try telneting to check SMTP status (at port 25) and POP (at port 110)
> >> but it doesnt work. I dont know why.
> >> All looks like ok. But telnet send me this message:
> >>
> >> telnet localhost 25
> >> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> >> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
> >
> > Well, this is either due to 2 reasons:
> >
> > 1) You don't have any SMTP or POP3 daemons running on the box you are
> > checking.
>
> it isn't getting that far. it says connection refused.

Well, it says that too if there's nothing running on that port. (thus no
daemon)

> > 2) The ports are kept close by a Firewall.
>
> this is to localhost. no firewall involved.
If a Firewall is running on localhost and if it's strictly configured to
refuse ALL connections, it will also refuse localhost connection attempts.

Olivier Reisch                                  doctomoe@tuxppc.org
TuxPPC Site Director
http://www.tuxppc.org
The number one user resource for Linux on PPC.

For safe mail, get my PGP Key: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/olivier.reisch/oreisch_public_key.gpg ________________________________________________