Re: Linux laptops

Subject: Re: Linux laptops
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 10:27:21 MST

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 10:20 am, Eric D. wrote:
> Sound doesn't work on an install (kind of an important feature), the
> ability to change video resolutions does not existent (aside from some
> command-line magic (my solution is to re-install the OS and let the
> installer set the resolution (less time consuming and aggravating than
> figuring out how in @#$!!@ hell to use XConfigurator (I don't trust it not
> to screw up the settings) ;)), and HFS+ support is either mostly broken or
> non-existent. These are pretty _basic_ functions for which no simple
> solutions exists (using man pages is Ok for programmers or hackers but not
> for people who need to use their computer as a tool to augment real-world
> work).

But see, most people have none of those problems- Xconfigurator is easy to
use, not hard. Just take the time to look at it, it is simple, heck, it walks
you through and there are help buttons along the way.

HFS+ is not supported for a good reason - Apple. Besides, its not that widely
used by people in the Linux community, although Appletalk file sharing was/is
implemented in the past, as was hfs support - for appletalk, I always assumed.

While I can agree Linux needs a nicer GUI interface for video settings, as
well as the ability to reset resolutions without restarting X (there is a way
to do it with keyboard short cuts, but I've never bothered learning how), I
can live with out since I seldom change my settings. On the other hand, I
use the virtual desktops feature ALOT - and consider it one of the Linux
desktop's coolest features.

Linux doesn't force you to buy anything, least of all overly expensive (IMHO)
hardware. ANd as far as hype goes - take a look at this, although the tests
are dated (11/2001), it says alot:

 Robert Brandtjen
 Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
 Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com