Re: Linux laptops

Subject: Re: Linux laptops
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 13:19:35 MST

At 11:27 AM -0600 3/13/02, Robert Brandtjen wrote:

>HFS+ is not supported for a good reason - Apple.

Apple has free documentation of HFS+ filesystem structures which you
can download in PDF format. They alsy have an open source HFS+
implementation which can be used as a reference by anybody who wants
to work on HFS+ support for Linux. (The source code itself cannot be
used -- the license is probably incompatible with GPL -- but since
you cannot copyright ideas it is perfectly legal to use it as
reference material.)

The real reason is simply that only one guy to date (that I am aware
of) has worked on HFS+, and progress has been slow, probably because
it's not a full time project for him.

In the meantime there's always hfsplusutils.

>Besides, its not that widely
>used by people in the Linux community, although Appletalk file sharing was/is
>implemented in the past, as was hfs support - for appletalk, I always assumed.

Netatalk is still alive, much more so than HFS/HFS+ support. It does
not need any form of HFS to store Macintosh file attributes and the
resource fork; techniques for storing them on any file system were
worked out long ago and it uses one of them.

--
Tim Seufert