Re: setup troubles: spec. permissions to floppy

Subject: Re: setup troubles: spec. permissions to floppy
From: John Schmidt (jas@netbrick.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 15:03:35 MST

What does your /etc/fstab look like? Here is mine:

[jas@retriever jas]$ more /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb5 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/sdb4 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc5 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0
0

Notice that /dev/fd0 line with the noauto,user. It is important to have the
user listed, since it allows regular users and not just the superuser (root)
to mount and write to the disk. In addition, if you are using KDE, you
should be able highlight the floppy icon and use mouse button 3 which pulls
up a menu showing among others Properties . . . There should be able to see
what the permissions are. If the /etc/fstab is set up correctly with the
user listed on the line with /dev/fd0, then you should be able to write to it
and mount it. You can look at the man pages for fstab and mount and it will
go into more details.

John Schmidt
jas@netbrick.com