Re: No dri w/Rage Orion

Subject: Re: No dri w/Rage Orion
From: Michael J Flaherty (mikeflaherty@mn.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 16:15:51 MST

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 08:09, you wrote:

> I have a Rage Orion working perfectly in my 9600 but I know people have had
> problems with them. Try the snippet below at the end of your
> /etc/XF86Config-4. You need to replace the "PCI:0:13:0" with the
> information from a "cat /proc/pci". For example on my Mac, the part for
> the Orion looks like:

Thanks to Iain and Robert for posting the details from your XF86Config-4
files. I've made definite progress. I noticed that one of you is using the
"r128" driver, while the other is using "ati". Doesn't it matter ?

Here's what I have now:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Option "UseFBDev"
        Driver "r128"
        VendorName "ATI"
        BusID "0:14:0"
EndSection

This is working fine and I now have tolerable acceleration (I can see the
message that acceleration is enabled and another that direct rendering is
disabled when I logout of X). I have un-commented load "dri", but something
must still be missing..

Scrolling through anything is about twice as fast. For what it's worth, I
can now grab a window by the title bar and drag it around without having it
blur and go more slowly than the mouse is moved.

Still no dri though. What kind of output do you guys get to "glxinfo" ?

Direct Rendering: No (or Yes) ?

This page does not mention ppc as a supported archtecture for dri, only x86,
alpha, and sparc:

Is it wrong ?

<http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/DRIuserguide.html>

Thanks also to Ben and Matt for helping out. Xconfigurator (yes, I was using
the lower case x before when it wouldn't run) kept wanting to set me back up
with "fbdev" though...

MJF