Re: Linux laptops

Subject: Re: Linux laptops
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 19:01:52 MST

Guy McArthur wrote:

> Control + Alt + (plus on numeric keypad)
>
> and
>
> Control + Alt + (minus on numeric keypad)
>
> to raise/lower screen resolution.
>
> I don't think any other operating system makes it that easy!

Not sure that this is as easy as the other operating systems...

1) it's attached to some obscure key combination
2) it only allows you to select between your pre-configured modes in the
XF86Config file
3) If you have multiple resolutions configured, then you end up with a
'virtual desktop' at the maximum resolution, and any lower resolutions
will produce a desktop which scrolls around as the mouse is moved
outside of the current viewable area. Ugh.

I think a gui for selecting resolutions and colour depths directly as is
done in Windows and MacOS without having to go to XConfigurator would be
welcome, but seems unlikely in the near future.

Ben.