lpd boondoggle

Subject: lpd boondoggle
From: Cal Grandy (cal@stopshrinks.org)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 07:02:37 MST

At 07:29 AM 3/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Check your /var/log/messages
>
>If it says lpd fialed to startup, find out why? As I recall, you said
>something about failed to open localhost. I had the same problem (I
>was tired and forgot to edit a particular file).
>
>You need to edit your /etc/hosts file and add your local IP adddress
>into there. As an example, this is my /etc/hosts file:

Nothing in the messages about lpd failing to start.

The /ect/hosts file on my machine looks similar to yours. Except there are
some extra periods after the IP addresses.

I logged in as root this morning, set the "service lpd start" command
manually, and tried to print. It failed. The following messages were added
to my /var/log/messages. I have no idea what they mean.

kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
kernal: FAT VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 03:07.