Re: Ibook Sound

Subject: Re: Ibook Sound
From: Joe Buczek (joe_buczek@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 07:43:56 MST

--- Matthew Larson <ml582@columbia.edu> wrote:

   [ comments about CD play deleted ]

> what OSX does, for instance. Also, sound does not work under
> KDE, so no
> use testing it there. In fact, you may get interesting and
> painful
> screeches if you turn on their arts server.

KDE sounds work just fine if you do the following SIMPLE thing: Go
to KDE/Preferences/Sounds/System Notifications on the main menu
bar. This brings up a dialog box. On the dialog box, there is a
checkbox for "Use external player". Check this box. Type the word
"play" (minus the quotes) into the text box. Click "OK" to accept
the change. After you do this, KDE sounds will work just fine!!!!

I have not seen this simple trick posted by anyone yet (of course,
I can't read -every- post). But I'm glad I didn't spend time or
effort trying to replace the sound server or a bunch of system
modules to get KDE sounds to work. Yes, the 'artsd' seems busted on
ibook2, but who cares?

Have a great day,
--Joe :-)