Swish++ setup problem

Subject: Swish++ setup problem
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 17:04:51 MST

Following Paul's encouragement to try SWISH++, I installed it - but I'm now
baffled by the configuration. I want to:

- run the searchd daemon
- index everything to one index in /var/tmp/swish++.index
- use a config file in /etc/swish++.conf

I edited the makefile appropriately and everything seems to install in the
right place. I edited the index location into swish++.conf and created an
index file for test purposes. When I type eg "search help" I get the error
"search: error: could not read index from "swish++.index" - which gives
the impression that it's not finding the index in /var/tmp

If the index file is manually specified to search then files are found -
although clearly having to specify the index file for every search doesn't
seem quite right given that it is specified in swish++.conf

I've read the manual pages and mailing list until my eyeballs are burning
and have made no progress. Maybe I'm just missing the point - has anyone
got a similar Swish++ setup going?

  Iain