Screen resolutions (was: Linux laptops)

Subject: Screen resolutions (was: Linux laptops)
From: Eric D. (liriodendron@mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 17:37:59 MST

Ok, this is irritating me now. I've run Xconfigurator as root (in a
ctrl-option-Fkey (other than 7) login) a number of times and tried various
settings and the only thing I can get it to change is the size of the
virtual desktop in GNOME/KDE.

In Xconfigurator I've specified that I _only_ want to use 1152*864 @ 70 Hz,
I've tried numerous combinations, exclusive screen settings, and everything
and the only screen I get on logging in with "session" (whatever you call
ctrl-opt-F7) F7 is 1024*768 @ 60Hz.

ctrl-option-+/- only worked once for some freaky reason and that was because
I had specified every screen size my monitor supported (640x480, 800x600,
1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024). I could switch between 800x600 @ 56 Hz
and 640x480 @ 60 Hz (yea, yippi doo da day) (I had a virtual desktop of
1280x1024). Without 640x480 and 800x600 specified I had 1024x768@60
regardless of what I specified.

I also played a little with `fbset "1024x768-70"' and it *would* change the
refresh rate in that particular text session (ctrl-opt-Fkey) but wouldn't
save or affect anything else (also, no man page exists for Xconfigurator).

Anyway, the process I'd try is this:
(1) ctrl-opt-F2, login to root,
(2) type Xconfigurator, specify the settings, and done.
(3) next, ctrl-opt-F7, login to regular account with the GUI using
"default", try ctrl-opt-+/-, no response, ctrl-opt-del, logout.
really matter if I logged out of my root account)

How the !@$!@# hell do I change the refresh rate successfully? I've tried
fbset "1152x864-75" but end up with a blank screen saying "out of range". I
can only play with this OS once in a blue moon so it's rather frustrating to
say the least that I can't even get the @$!# refresh rate to something more
respectable than 60 Hz.

Guy McArthur wrote:

> Control + Alt + (plus on numeric keypad)
>
> and
>
> Control + Alt + (minus on numeric keypad)
>
> to raise/lower screen resolution.
>
> I don't think any other operating system makes it that easy!

HAHAHAAHA. Are you being sarcastic (or sadistic ;)? Not since the C64 have I
encountered an OS that required you to use (cryptic) keyboard commands (kybd
commands are cryptic by nature because it requires you to memorise and not
be able to think) to change screen resolutions. Even DOS apps that had a
mouse interface allowed you to change resolution without typing (just look
at the venerable DOSshell).

I guess Linux is the new beat-up Dodge tinker mobile for tinkerers.

L8r, Eric.