Re: No dri w/Rage Orion

Subject: Re: No dri w/Rage Orion
From: Bill Fink (billfink@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 18:44:37 MST

On Thu Mar 14 2002, Robert Serphillips wrote:

> I think it's a dma bug on PCI cards. I've been reading the lists over at
> xfree.org and if I understand it correctly it's a case where xv (xine in
> my case) and dri are both trying to access the dma hardware at the same
> time. It might not appear with agp cards as the dma functions are different
> ( I think). Anyway I been able to reproduce this bug every time. Is xine
> using the xvideo extension in your case? If so then it may just be that
> the agp versions are unaffected. Either way it's just a heads up in case
> anyone runs into this.

Yes, I'm running xine with the XVideo extension, although it's quite
possible there are differences between the AGP and PCI code. BTW in
my case it does improve performance to enable DRI (someone on the xine
e-mail list said this was because enabling DRI enables DMA). On my
dual 500 MHz G4 (which I run using only one CPU), playing DVDs with
an altivec-enabled xine uses about 1/2 of the CPU without DRI enabled.
With DRI enabled, this drops down to about 1/3 of the CPU being used.

                                                -Bill