Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?

Subject: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 14:35:48 MST

On Saturday 16 March 2002 12:55 pm, Eric D. wrote:
> Something like a micro-payment system really needs to spring to life on the
> web, even if it's limited to Linux distros/freeware-type licenses. You
> could buy credit in $5 chunks and web sites could charge a little for
> whatever service it is they're offering, e.g. $1 for a 600 MB ISO d/l (or
> whatever the hosting and serving costs are for 600 MB). The micropayment
> system could itself piggy-back on PayPal (or something like that) if the
> costs of maintaining their own secure payment services would be prohibitive
> to such an operation. Or, if a per-download system is too cumbersome people
> could buy 'credit' for a particular web site.

I think having any distro prepared for download and installation such as they
are deserves monetary reward in order to further the interests of the user
community and the distro itself - Mandrakes recent monetary problems
illustrate this fact- nothing in life is free, people need to quit "leeching"
off the OSS community for it to survive. paying 20 bucks for the downloadable
distro is not only fair - its very reasonable - how long would it take you to
find all the apps and install them individually? days, weeks?

the money then is there to enable these people to continue the development of
the platform. without it, it may cease to exist.

--
 Robert Brandtjen