security port scan at www.grc.com

Subject: security port scan at www.grc.com
From: joe strafach (js62@mac.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 07:59:41 MST

I was at www.grc.com and peformed a security scan. All ports were closed
except port 113 which is open. This is the IDENT port. Below is the info
for the port and what it does according to GRC.
Identification/Authorization Service -- Internet servers such as POP,
IMAP, SMTP, and IRC query this port in response to client connections.
It should NEVER be open since this is a source of tremendous information
escape. Unsophisticated firewalls will show it closed -- thus this
provides a means for intruders to detect an otherwise stealthed
computer. Only the latest, highest technology, adaptive firewalls are
smart enough to stealth this port against random probes while showing it
closed to queries from valid servers.

Is this really a problem? If so how do I close this port? I'm not
running any type of server from my box. Just learning to use Linux for
internet access for email. My email acount is with Apple at mac.com and
is an imap account. I'm using the 2.1 distro from Terra Soft with the
works installed on a powermac G4/400.

Thanks in advance,
Joe Strafach